The Children's Program is a family literacy centre dedicated to providing children with a safe place where they can play, learn, and grow. Our program is designed to promote literacy while encouraging creativity and self-expression.
The Children's Program provides free, onsite, part-time childcare for parents attending programs at Heartwood House, including also's programs.
The program curriculum is literacy and language enriched, and develops emergent literacy skills to give children a better start in school.
The Children's Program is provided by qualified early-childhood educators, assisted by trained volunteers. There is a high adult-to-child ratio.
Who can join us?
- children 6 months to 6 years old
- parents who are attending a Heartwood House Program
- This is a service mainly for families on Ontario Works and low-income families
For more information
Contact Minoo Hannani (Children's Program Manager).
Think about it…
Children love playing outdoors in the summer. There is so much to do: playing in parks, riding bikes, swimming. It's important to be prepared for outdoor activities. Always have plenty of water to drink and follow these tips from Ottawa Public Health:
Sun Safety Tips for Babies and Children
- keep babies under one year out of direct sunlight at all times
- place a canopy or umbrella over your baby's stroller to give shade
- have children wear protective clothing, hat and sunglasses
- do not apply sunscreen to a baby less than 6 months old
Teach your child this little rhyme to get them ready to spend time outside:
Slip on your shirt,
Slop on your sunscreen,
Slap on your hat.
Slip, Slop, Slap!